Monday, May 14, 2007

First Run

So Saturday evening I decided it was time to fire her up and make the first run. I prepped the boat, removed transom straps, put the drain plug in, and was ready to be launched at the harbor. She started right up, and came off the trailer with ease. The harbor was a little crowded, and for some reason they decided to launch 2 boats simultaneously on the same ramp. This is typical of the "first of the season" behavior of my harbor. Not to mention the ramp was crowded enough with 6 boats on each side of the docks. I'll post a pic of the harbor so you can understand my concern.

But the boat ran good, it was fairly obvious the engine had been sitting a while. I'll run some fuel injector cleaner through it and clear it all out. Kept a decent clip at 2800rpm, about 25mph. Without trim tabs, it's hard to get the boat to plane at lower speeds. And I think this year's going to bring much lower speeds due to rising gas prices. So some Lenco Electric tabs might be added later this year if funds permit.

Ran through downtown Cincinnati, and then anchored up beyond Coney Island & River Downs for some sun! I dropped the ladder, took a few steps down, and realized, NO WAY. Water's only 62 degrees!

Anyway, being the first launch of the season, no one seemed to be observing the given "boater laws of courtesy", some people cut me off on the way out, and then another one damn near backed over me and caused me to nearly run into another boat on the way back in. Apparently May 12 must have been stupid boater day on the Ohio.

Lesson learned: Bring camera next time.

No comments: